Are you looking to change your Dashboard’s boring lego-like grey background? Does your current Dashboard background look like this? If yes, you have come to the right place. This short tutorial will show you ‘How to change the Dashboard background in Mac OS X’. This tutorial has been tried and tested on 10.8 Mountain Lion, but if you have older versions, it should work too. (Let us know in the comments section if it doesn’t).
So without further ado, let’s get started.
- Before anything else, find a decent wallpaper that you want as your Dashboard background. By the way, if your Mac is a 1920 by 1080 res, we have a freebie for you. Click here to download a full HD wallpaper package for free. If you are in a hurry, grab a decent wallpaper (based on your current screen res) from Interfacelift.com. Make sure it ends with a .png. Ok, once you have got the Wallpaper of your choice, let’s move on. Step 2.
- Now, click the Finder icon on your Dock (the left most icon). Once you are in your Finder, Press Command+Shift+G. This should bring up a Go To Folder snippet from Above. Just type the text in green: /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/
- Now, once you are in the folder, find the file called pirelli.png. Rename it to pirelli-old.png and copy your new wallpaper. Rename your new wallpaper pirelli.png. You might be asked for your administrator password. Don’t worry, just type it in. That finishes the authentication and we are nearly done.
- Now, open the Terminal app. You can open the Terminal app easily by pressing Command+Spacebar and typing in Terminal into the Spotlight window. Open the Terminal app and type in killall Dock.
- You are done. Check your Dashboard by pressing the F4 key on your Mac keyboard. Here’s mine by the way, decent isn’t it?
Incoming Search terms: how to change dashboard background, how to change the dashboard background on mac, change dashboard background mac os x, dashboard background mac change, change dashboard background, how to change dashboard background on lion, dashboard background not showing, dashboard background lion, dashboard wallpaper mac
About Ali Gajani
Hi. I am Ali Gajani. I started Mr. Geek in early 2012 as a result of my growing enthusiasm and passion for technology. I love sharing my knowledge and helping out the community by creating useful, engaging and compelling content. If you want to write for Mr. Geek, just PM me on my Facebook profile.